Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Even MORE Butterflies!

I know, maybe I should have called this blog Butterflies, Bugs, and Stuff! But, really, I just have not had the time to write more on the "other" stuff. Besides, it's summer and I don't feel like staying inside!

Again, I was out at the blockhouse, with the boss this time, to take a few photos. Here is one of the Blockhouse and the Gantry Crane that I took:


Of course, there were also a lot of things fluttering around. In addition to the two below, I saw Variegated Fritillaries and a Funereal Duskywing, but they were too quick to photograph. Also while we were out, we saw a Barn Owl, four Great Horned Owls, and a pair of Burrowing Owls - not bad for a morning! Anyway, these were at the Blockhouse, a Black Swallowtail:


And a Common Checkered Skipper:
About 100 yards north of the museum is an arroyo that is fast becoming one of my favorite places to visit. Queens, like these below, are very common:

There was also one of these, a (I think!) Northern cloudywing:
This is a new one for me, a Leda Ministreak:
Of course, Gray Hairstreaks are beginning to show up again:
Here are yet some more Palmer's Metalmarks:
And the ubiquitous Checkered White:
And, finally, the world's smallest butterfly, a Western Pygmy Blue, photographed while lying on my side in the dirt waiting for this little (about the size of a fingernail) guy to land!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home