Friday, February 02, 2007

A Great Book


As I was working toward my MA in History, one of the areas I was particularly interested in was exploration in the American West. From Lewis and Clark's beginning to the US-Mexican Boundary Surveys, to the US Army surveys for the transcontinental railroad - I have studied and written about many of them. They are fascinating and open a whole new world to how Americans looked at their newest lands.

In addition, as I have mentioned (and as my wife alluded to here) I love native plants. Again, while in high school, I thought I would be the next great American botanist! Didn't happen, but I'm still a wildflower geek. So imagine my surprise when I came across this book!

I was in Hastings (a new book retailer out here) today getting a few movies for the kids and Liss and I and, as always, perused their stock of remainders, when I found this book. I had to look again, could it be?

No.

Really?

Yep!

A book that combines the plant collections of the Corps of Discovery (Lewis and Clark) with beautiful photos, and even better text, of the plants the expedition collected, with a great historical prologue and information on where to see the plants in habitat today. What is really cool is that I have seen a great many of these and even have a number of them in my own herbarium (told you I was a plant geek!) Though the book was printed in 2003, I just now discovered it, and love it!

Anyway, it's a great book, not only for the wildflower lover or amateur naturalist, but for the historian of the American West as well. If you have either of these interests - find a copy!

Oh yeah, and about the cover illustrations - the top flower is a Lewisia sp., the bottom, a Clarkia sp. - pretty slick, huh?!?!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brings back memories; particulary one of a trip to Colorado where you insisted upon stopping to pick some prized specimen. Unfortunately we had to stop some ways down the road and toss out the flower because it had the most putrid smell! Ha Ha! Yep, you're a flower geek, but we love ya!

2/03/2007 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home