Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cacti

When I linked a couple of weeks ago to the cactus-study group on Yahoo, Michael and Tom both had questions about how I grow some of the plants that I do. It does get into the teens here in the winter, with moisture at really in-opportune times. I have, in the past, had to run out and cover the plants with pots, but now that most have been in the ground for about 4 years, the seem to have adapted to the soil and climate here. In addition, many of the non-native plants grow under a spreading Mexican Elder tree which provides a bit of frost protection.

The tree also adds nutrients to the soil. The "soil" here is sand and gravel, with whatever organic matter comes from decayed leaves and bird droppings. Probably not an ideal mixture, but it allows the soil to be enriched much as in habitat. I do not use any additional fertilizers (though I probably should!) but I do some supplemental watering in the summer. Oh yeah, most of these plants were in 3 or 4 inch containers when I got them and have been in the ground for 3 or 4 years now. Well, except for the echinopsis, which was in a gallon pot, and the first plant that I had. Now the plants:



An unknown Parodia - if you know what it might be please let me know in the comments!

Leuchtenbergia principis on the left, Notocactus roseoluteus on the right.

Astrophytum ornatum.
An unknown Echinopsis, my first plant.

Parodia magnifica.

Mammillaria parikinsonii.

Mammillaria compressa

Mammillaria elegans.

Not sure about this Mam.

One of about two dozen various Echinopsis, earlier this Summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home