Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pork Loin

Okay, I think I have finally realized that the politics and book reviews that I had hoped would make up this blog are slowly taking a back seat. I have been asked (again) to post recipes, so here is one I made this weekend for my Mom and Aunt who were visiting.

Take a pork loin, wash and dry it, and open it up. What you need to do is take a good knife and slice it thin as you roll it out, kind of like a butterfly cut for chicken ( I guess!) Put it in foil or saran wrap and beat it flat. What you want is a long, wide piece of meat that can be stuffed and rolled back up, so do what you think!

Once the pork loin is laid out flat, you need to stuff it. I take about a half cup of fresh chopped thyme, basil, oregano and sage, sprinkle it on, then add crumbled feta (the garlic and herb feta works well) and sauteed mushrooms. Roll it back up and tie with butchers twine. I didn't have twine and held it together with toothpicks - trust me - the twine is better! Now heat up a pan that can also go in the oven (love my Calphalon - a Christmas gift from Melissa!) Sear it all around, then add about three seeded Roma tomatos and place in a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

After it is cooked through, remove the meat and place it on a plate back into the (now off!) oven, to stay warm so you can make the sauce. Also peel the tomatos and set them aside. Deglaze the pan with a bit of chardonney, scraping up all of the bits, add about two tablespooons of butter, then cook up a large thinly-sliced shallot and two cloves of garlic in the butter-wine mix. Once they are cooked through, add the tomatos you had set aside, some more of the chopped herbs, about a cup or so of the wine, and a cup of roasted butternut squash. Bring this all to a boil and cook through, then place in a blender and puree. Put it back in the pan, add a bit more butter after it's heated up again, and sauce the now-sliced pork loin with it - yummy, but don't overdo the sauce, as it's got a nice strong flavor!!!

Tomorrow, the cheesy herb mashed potatos to go with it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So yummy my mouth is still giggling!
I bought the pork loin, and herbs, and feta. Going to jump right in this weekend and make it for your uncle.
Aunt J

10/17/2006 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home